Sunday, September 8, 2013

Stress, Fatigue, and a Recipe

I am tired a lot.

Which really sucks, because I really like to be active, workout, lift heavy things, and generally be a busy body. But I haven't been able to do that. I'll take it easy for a while, feel better, then workout a little too hard and be under the weather for days afterwards. It's discouraging. My body has always been something I can rely on. With my energy so variable, I can't rely on my body to be there when I want it to right now. I'm learning to listen to my body more closely so that I can be more careful not to overdo it.

Do you listen to your body when you're tired? I think that too often we don't. We just push through the fatigue, because we feel a little better after our workout. I often feel obligated to workout because I don't want to lose muscle mass, gain weight, or get further deconditioned. This is a mistake. Fatigue is an important signal our body sends us. We are bombarded with more signals, obligations, stress, and input than ever before, and it seems that the influx continues to grow every day. Our system eventually gets overloaded with the stress, which wears down on us in many different ways. We become tired, cranky, depressed, listless, or overwhelmed. It is vitally important to our health that we take the time to nurture our bodies in a way that allow us to remain energized, whole, and healthy.

Be sure to take time for yourself. A little bit of time each day is helpful - for some, its a moment of meditation or quiet reflection. Others, its time in prayer, a bubble bath, yoga, listen to your book, cook a favorite recipe, or a peaceful walk. Whatever it is, take your time for you.

Yesterday, I took some time to cook a recipe I've been meaning to try before my husband and I went to a friend's house for dinner. It turned out delicious.

Avocado Deviled Eggs

Ingredients:
4 hard boiled eggs
1 avocado
2 tbsp greek yogurt
salt. pepper, and garlic powder to taste
cayenne pepper for garnish

Cut each egg in half and scoop out the yolks. Place the yolks, avocado, yogurt, and spices in the food processor. Process until smooth. Scoop mixture back into the egg whites (I put mine into a pastry bag and piped them in to make them look pretty). Sprinkle with cayenne pepper. Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment