Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Preparedness and a Lesson.

First, I'd like to share my "Paleo bounty" for the week...

I spent a few hours on Sunday with my mom preparing food for the week to get me through the long days I'm in class until late.

Egg muffins:

I made mine with frozen spinach (defrosted), breakfast sausage (browned in a skillet and then put into the bottom of the muffin cup), eggs from my chickens (one per muffin), and salt/pepper/garlic powder for seasoning. I layered the sausage on the bottom, then the spinach, and the egg on top. Next time I do it, I think I'm going to crack one egg in each muffin cup then put the ingredients on top. I'll report back with results!

Scotch Eggs:


These are my new FAVE. I love that they're a perfect delivery system of protein and super portable. I've really missed the ease of a wrap or sandwich when on the go since I've gone paleo, but these definitely do the trick. I used lean ground beef seasoned with salt, pepper, garlic powder, nutmeg, rosemary, and a touch of cayenne wrapped around the hard boiled egg. YUM!

Banana Bread:


It has literally taken me years to find a banana bread recipe that meets all of my requirements: grain free, dairy free, refined sugar free, good texture and great taste. I finally found it! (I'll post the recipe if I get enough requests!!) This is by far my new favorite recipe. My mom loves it too.

Outside of that, I have a ton of easy veggies to bring along: cucumbers, salad fixings, cauliflower, etc. This has helped me a TON this week and I think I will finally make it through the week without stopping at a coffee shop to get nuts or something because I didn't bring enough food.

Now.... on to the exciting stuff.

I learned a lesson tonight.

Side note:  I also came up with what I think is a brilliant name to call all of you - my supporters, fans, clients, family and friends - Foodies In Training, or FITs. This embraces the attitude of loving the food you eat while also highlighting the fact that it's healthy, and can be another step to helping you achieve the best body/fitness level/health level you possibly can. Call it silly if you want - I'm keeping it.

I learned a lesson tonight for all of you FITs while making part of dinner. Don't lift the feeding cup from the food processor while ricing cauliflower if the food processor is still on. It will snow cauliflower all over your counters. Super fun to clean up.

I made Cauliflower Cheese Bread. No, not "technically" paleo, but a fun new recipe all the same. I adapted this from several other recipes I found.

FIT Cauliflower Cheese Bread

1 large head cauliflower
4 eggs
1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese (or cheese of your choice)
salt/pepper to taste
garlic powder
red pepper flakes
dried parsley

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Rice or grate your cauliflower in a food processor or with a box grater. Place in a large bowl and mix together with all other ingredients. Using two baking sheets lined with parchment paper or silicone mat, spread half of the mixture onto each baking pan. Compress the mixture with your hands, spreading into a rectangular shape until it is at about 1/4 to 1/2 inch thickness.

Bake for 40 minutes or until golden brown.


No comments:

Post a Comment