Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Get Ready, Get Set, Get Prepared.

Ok, so I forgot to take pictures of my food prep. It wasn't pretty, so you didn't miss much! I'll do my best this weekend.

BUT, I did cook a whole chicken, some zucchini bread, a loaf of applesauce/banana bread (because the zucchini bread didn't turn out very well) and chopped zucchini and onions. I'll be cooking the beef patties tomorrow evening and the soup that I made has been a saving grace for lunches!

I really like to cook. I used to say that I love it, and I have an entire bookshelf of cookbooks to prove it. Lately I've been dealing with some health issues that have completely sucked my energy from me that makes it difficult to muster up the will to spend the time to cook an elaborate meal or try a new recipe. (That's a huge reason why I've decided to really get serious about my food and see if/how that makes me feel better.) To be honest, the worst part about cooking is DISHES. I hate doing dishes. They're not even that hard to do, but I can make every excuse in the book not to do them. I'll put them off until tomorrow, and then until I can't look at them anymore. Even though they never spend more than two days in the sink, I really REALLY don't like doing dishes.

The truth is, it's not always easy to be prepared. It takes planning. You have to remember to take the meat out of the freezer, to get out all the spices, find recipes and plan your menu for the week. It's so much easier to just make excuses. You're too tired, you worked really hard that day, you don't feel like cooking, you'd rather watch another episode of your favorite show on Netflix, and you'd rather just order out sushi or mexican food. (That does mean no dishes, after all.)

You owe it to yourself to be prepared. You can do it. Before the next time you go to the grocery store, plan out your menus for the following week and choose meals and snacks you can cook ahead of time. Cooking a whole chicken, browning some ground beef, chopping up a bunch of vegetables, hard boiling some eggs and making a crustless quiche is a great way to start. I'll be your biggest fan and support system!

Leave a question below or send me an email!

 

2 comments:

  1. It's so true!! Planing ahead has become an essential part of our busy household. I like to prepare my meals based off what is on sale in the grocery ads. It helps to keep me on budget and allows me to try some new recipes.


    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great idea! And it definitely works well when working with a budget. Busy families really benefit from planning ahead. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete