Sunday, August 18, 2013

A New Challenge.

How to you spend your Sundays?

I'll be spending mine cooking and prepping food for the rest of the week. I've been meaning to start doing this for a while, and after eating tuna from a can and a cucumber from the garden almost every day last week for lunch, I think it's time to get a little more prepared.

This is week is also a time for me to really buckle down and get my food in order. Working a full time job during the week makes it easy to slip into old habits, and I've definitely done that, eating some corn tortillas, rice and (gasp!) chocolate. I'll be completing a 30 day Paleo challenge for myself, and I'm counting on my readers to keep me accountable.If you'd like to join in on this journey, but need more information, email me at mleelutz@gmail.com.

I started some broth in the crock pot last night with a mixture of chicken and beef bones. It's super easy to make (bones, water, vinegar, salt, garlic + crock pot for 12-24 hours) and has many great nutritional benefits. Diane Sanfilippo over at Balanced Bites has done a beautiful job of laying out all the benefits of making your own broth. You can find that information here: http://balancedbites.com/2011/04/easy-recipe-mineral-rich-bone-broth.html

I made a small batch of soup yesterday with some leftover chicken, broth from the freezer, and kale. This will be my breakfast for the week. I'm trying to steer away from eggs - I've been feeling nauseated after eating breakfast in the mornings and want to see if this is the cause.

I'll be cooking some beef patties to have ready to go, baking a whole chicken in the oven, hard boiling some eggs (for my husband), chopping some vegetables so they're easy to either throw in a bag for a quick snack or to throw into a pan for a quick side dish and baking a loaf of zucchini bread free of gluten/grains, processed sugar, and nuts.  I'll post some pictures later this week.

Who else spends at least one day a week prepping food? How much time does it save you during the week?






No comments:

Post a Comment